Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones Debuts at second place behind Frozen
Box Office Wrap Up
Seems fitting that Disney’s Frozen would be the box office leader during this bitterly cold week. Reclaiming the #1 spot with 20.7 million was enough to hold off The marked ones, a paranormal activities spin-off.
Frozen, in its seventh week accomplishes something rarely done by capturing the lead so late in its theatrical run. The last to do so was The Passion of Christ in 2004.
Families really fell in love with this film as it has just passed the 600 million mark making it Disney’s second highest grossing animated film behind The Lion King.
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones gives the franchise a much needed shot in the arm after the disappointing Paranormal Activity 4.
Not a true sequel but more of a vehicle to expand on the lore, hit big with audiences earning 18.2m, not bad for a low buget horror film made for a mere 5 million.
Tumbling down to third place was The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug earning 16.3m bringing its domestic box office total to 229.6 million. As many moviegoers preffered avoiding the terrible weather to Peter Jackson’s cash Grab.
47 Ronin and (thankfully) Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas completely fell off the map not even squeaking in the top ten.
Box Office Wrap Up Jan 3-5
1. Frozen, $20.7 million.
2. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, $18.2 million.
3. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, $16.3 million.
4. The Wolf of Wall Street, $13.4 million.
5. American Hustle, $13.2 million.
6. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues, $11.1 million.
7. Saving Mr. Banks, $9.1 million.
8. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, $8.2 million.
9. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, $7.4 million.
10. Grudge Match, $5.4 million.