The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug falls short
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug may have fell a bit short of the original Hobbit (84.6m) but still had a Peter Jackson laughing all the way to the bank with a tidy 73.6m.
which is the 4th highest opening in the month of December, trailing the likes of I am Legend and Avatar. So all in all nothing to sneeze at.
A Madea Christmas comes in at third with a very disappointing 16.2 million making this Tyler Perrys lowest opening to date, a steep decline from Madea goes to Jail’s 41m opening. does this signify the beginning of the end for this franchise? We can only hope so.
At the fourth spot Hunger games took another huge hit dropping 50% to 13.2m but has an impressive 739m worldwide surpassing the originals 691m.
And Lastly rounding out the the top 5 is Thor: The Dark World still hanging on by a thread with 2.7 million this weekend.
This Weekends Box Office Wrap Up Totals
1. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: $73.7 million
2. Frozen: $22.2 million
3. Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas: $16 million
4. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: $13.2 million
5. Thor: The Dark World: $2.7 million
6. Out of the Furnace: $2.3 million
7. Delivery Man: $1.9 million
8. Philomena: $1.76 million
9. The Book Thief: $1.67 million
10. Homefront: $1.64 million